How to Perform a Website Content Audit
As a business owner, when is the last time you performed a website content audit to make sure it's in line with your current business structure? And does your website offer a relevant user experience?
There are many benefits of performing a content audit. First, it can help to identify content that needs to be revised or updated. Second, it can show SEO opportunities where the content or on-page SEO can be improved. Finally, a content audit can find errors such as broken links, which deliver a poor user experience to readers.
Here is a step-by-step process for performing a content audit and how to get started:
1. Create a spreadsheet that contains the following headings: page type, URL, title, meta description, image alt tags, and analytics data.
2. Define goals. Do you want to have more visibility with search engines? Do you want to improve the content across the website so that your visitors have access to superb information?
3. Make a list of all the content to analyze. This will include web pages, landing pages, and blog posts. If the website is small, the content can be copied and pasted into the spreadsheet.
4. Categorize content and pull in analytics measurements. Make a note of the type of content, such as blog posts. With blog posts, it's worth including the date the post was published or last updated. Older posts are vital areas that can be updated with new information - something that the search engines love!
5. Analyze the data captured and compare that to your goals. If you want more SEO visibility, there may be apparent gaps or opportunities with titles and meta descriptions. Want to update content? Pay attention to older content that might be outdated. Finally, they should be looking at the level of traffic that each page receives. For pages that get a lot of traffic, these must be optimized with the best content. Important pages that aren't getting much traffic are also a clear opportunity for improvement.
6. Develop an action plan. The completion of the steps above will guide you in the right direction. Some content may need to be updated, some might need deleting, and a few new content pieces require creation. Make a list of the action items, assign them a priority, and get started.
Let us help you!
Our experts can perform a thorough website content and offer suggestions on how to improve it. Get in touch with us here.