Design Series: Using Video To Elevate Web Design
Revamp your website design with videos! Video is an incredibly powerful tool for making an immediate impact on visitors to your website with the ability to tell a story, evoke feelings, and make a lasting impression. Users instantly feel engaged with your content when they watch videos, rather than simply reading text or viewing static images. Discover how to integrate top-notch video content that captures your audience while differentiating your web design from the competition.
Creating Videos That Stand Out
In such a crowded digital space, it’s important to make sure your videos stand out. To do this, you should focus on creating videos that are visually appealing, professional, and on-brand. They should be engaging and entertaining so that viewers feel like they’re there with you.
This is the unique power of video. It can transport you back in time to a nostalgic memory, rekindle feelings from a difficult moment in life, or inspire you to make new habits in search of happiness and success, to name a few.
So, what’s the focus? Telling a story. This can be done by creating narratives to accompany your content, or by using humor and visuals to draw the viewer in. Think of it as a virtual journey, complete with visuals and sound bites that create a mood for the audience.
At the same time, make sure to be mindful of your tone and language you use throughout your video. It’s important that your message is concise yet meaningful and shows authority in order to capture the attention of viewers. And in the word’s of Malcolm Gladwell, “We have, as human beings, a storytelling problem. We're a bit too quick to come up with explanations for things we don't really have an explanation for.” Be sure you know what you’re talking about!
Incorporating Video Into Website Design
Video is dynamic, adding visual interest to your site while also conveying messages in an attention-grabbing manner. When you’re creating and incorporating videos onto your website, there are a few key elements that you should keep in mind:
- Choose the right type of video: Depending on what your website is about, there are different types of videos that can be used specifically for your brand. For example, if you’re a business selling products or services, then an explanation video or tutorial is great. If you’re a travel blog, then you could use a video montage of your travels.
- Explanation: provide information about your products or services
- Tutorials: to demonstrate how to use a product or service
- Video montages: to capture experiences and tell stories
- Humorous video content: to draw viewers in and make them laugh
- Visual content: to captivate viewers with aesthetically pleasing visuals
- Narrative videos: to tell stories in an engaging and entertaining way
- Influencer/celebrity videos: to engage with an untapped audience
- Create good visual content: Whether you’re creating a tutorial video or a brand video, make sure that the visuals are engaging and interesting to watch. This means investing in quality production value—use high-quality audio and resolution.
- Optimize delivery: Videos should be accessed quickly and easily—optimize their delivery by making sure they are formatted and compressed for the web.
- Focus on the reason: It’s easy to get bogged down in technical details, but don’t forget to make sure your video has a story and purpose behind it. This can help draw in viewers and keep them engaged with the content.
- Placement with a purpose: You can put a video anywhere on your webpage, but you should consider its context and how it fits with other content. Videos taking up a lot of space at the top must draw viewers in effectively and convey necessary information. Use other content on the page (like copy, images, etc.) in support of the video and its message. A soundless background video can also entice and attract visitors to your product—these can be placed relatively anywhere without too much interference, but we recommend the middle of the page to start. Supporting videos, like tutorials, can be positioned further down the page to help promote understanding of your product or service.
- Incorporate into digital strategy: Once you’ve created your video content, it’s time to make sure that it gets seen by the right people. Incorporating your video into other digital marketing channels such as social media and search engine optimization (SEO) can help to ensure that it reaches the maximum number of potential visitors to your website.
Tell Your Brand's Story
By selecting the right type of video, optimizing its delivery, and ensuring it hits the mark with your audience, you can reach the maximum number of potential viewers while showing off a great design that engages and connects with your users. Start creating videos that are engaging, entertaining and on-brand today! We’re even taking our design to the next level. (Keep your eyes peeled for our upcoming redesign! We’ve teamed up with Insight Media to liven up our site with a breath of fresh visuals!)
If you’d like to learn more about upping your website’s game, be sure to check out our other blog posts packed with helpful tips and tricks to optimize your design and increase engagement with visitors. And if you’re looking for professional help with your website, just fill out the form below and our experts are happy to help! Happy Designing!