Updating Website Content for Optimal SEO
Updating website content is one of the best ways to improve a website's SEO, or search engine optimization. Search engines like Google and Bing use algorithms to rank websites based on various factors, such as how often they update their content and keywords used throughout the site. By regularly adding fresh content to your website, you can ensure that your brand stands out from others and improves its rankings in the search engine results pages (SERPs).
If your content is looking tired and outdated, it doesn’t mean it’s ready to be forever deleted and put in the trash. With just a couple of tweaks, you could revive an old blog post or web page and enjoy a boost in SEO rankings. And when it comes to optimizing content for SEO, there are several important factors that you should consider before updating website content.
How To Update Website Content
First, you should come up with a plan regarding how you want to update your content. Below you’ll find suggestions for locating areas of your website that may need SEO attention.
- Review your analytics - Your site and old content will benefit from a refresh. You can use your analytics data to review your existing content. For example, look for popular pages or blog posts that are getting traffic but could do better as these are the ideal pages you’ll want to update.
- Read through the content - Once you’ve reviewed analytics data for your site, you can get started on reading each page or post. Look out for sections of content that are out of date. For instance, there could be an area that refers to an old event or news item or a broken link that no longer works. You should write down any content that needs a refresh.
- Broken links - remember to regularly check for broken links within your website’s content. Broken links not only hinder crawlability but also damage user experience and lead to frustrated visitors who won’t stick around long enough to convert into customers.
After you’ve diagnosed the problem areas of your site, you should begin updating your website content. Be aware of the considerations below before making your changes.
- Add new content - Updating website content is essential for SEO optimization. Scan through what you have already written and determine how to add more information about a certain topic that has been previously covered. You can inform your reader with the new data or processes available, which will create an even richer experience on your website!
Within your content, make sure to pay attention to important factors that impact your SEO ranking, like:
Make sure that any new content on your website adheres to best practices for keyword research and optimization. Google loves fresh content, and updating your existing site content can better target the search engine towards a chosen keyword or keywords. Keywords are words or phrases related to your business that people may be searching for online. When you use these keywords in your content, it increases the chances of your website being found by potential customers.
Establishing a backlink (or “one-way-link”) is simple. These links are created when one site connects to another with an anchor text. The importance of backlinks should not be ignored, as they mean your content is linked to other relevant sources outside of your website. Search engines view websites with numerous, high-quality backlinks from reputable sources as more credible than those with few or no links at all. Incorporating backlinks into your content will help boost your website's SEO rankings and make it easier for people to find what they are looking for.
You also want to be sure that any content you add is relevant to the subject matter of your website. You should also look for ways to optimize existing content on your site, such as ensuring titles and meta descriptions contain targeted keywords and adding alt text to images.
Continue to explore other areas of your site that also need attention, like:
- Images and video - Is your current site lacking an abundance of media? Transform it into a vibrant and captivating piece by adding in some visuals like images and videos. Your readers will be more likely to engage with the content when they come across this upgrade, as well as have extra incentive to stay longer on your website - giving you greater opportunities for lead generation or sales.
- Internal linking - Ensure each page or post links to other pages or posts on your website. Internal links are hyperlinks that link to other pages on a website. If you have a blog post that talks about a service you offer, make sure you link to the service page of your website. For example: If you want to understand how the Jason Hunter Design Team approaches SEO for the benefit of your website, take a look at our SEO page and explore how our capabilities become your possibilities!
These help search engine crawlers find and index web pages, as well as helping visitors navigate through the site more quickly. Additionally, internal links can help improve your overall ranking in the SERPs by creating an interconnected network of relevant pages with high-quality content. By strategically placing internal links throughout your website, you can make sure that each page is reaching its full potential in terms of SEO.
When it comes to optimizing content for SEO, there are many actions you can take to make sure your website stands out from the competition and increases its chances of being found by potential customers. If you need the expert’s opinion or are looking to have your search engine ranking enhanced - just fill out the form below and we would be happy to help level up the SEO strategy on your website!