Here are 42 questions every contractor should ask their clients…
Company Background Questions
- What kind of business is your company in?
- How long has your company been in business?
- What is the size of your company?
- What is the company’s reputation?
- What is your typical customer like?
- Who are your competitors?
- What is your address?
- What is your phone number?
- What is your e-mail address?
- What is the best way to contact you?
Questions About Work Philosophy
- What is most important to you, quality or speed?
- How often do you want updates on my progress?
- Do you hire freelancers very often?
- Is your preferred work process structured, or unstructured?
- If necessary, would it be okay if I used subcontractors or outsourced parts of the project?
Project Specific Questions
- What is the purpose of this project?
- What sort of background do you expect a freelancer working on this project to have?
- How technical is this project?
- Describe how you envision the finished project?
- How many (words/pages/screens) are needed? (Modify this question for your own specific field.)
- What are the specific project instructions?
- Do your customers have any special requirements or needs to be met by this project?
- Can you show me an example something like what you have in mind?
- Who will be my contact for this project?
- How available are you (or the contact) to answer questions during the course of the project?
- If necessary, will I have access to (your website/company-specific information/etc.)? (Choose one.)
- Is it necessary to have any special (equipment/software) to complete this project? (Choose one.)
- Do you envision any potential problems with this project?
Work Agreement Questions
- What is the budget for this project?
- Who will own the intellectual rights to the finished project?
- What is the deadline for this project?
- How will you be making your payment?
- When will you pay?
Follow Up Questions (After a Project)
- How do you think the project went?
- Do you have any suggestions?
- Do you anticipate having any other projects based on this one?
- Will this project need to be updated or revised at some point?
- If the project needs updating, do you consider the updating or revisions to be a separate project?
- Are there any other projects that I can do for you?
- How often do you need the services of a (writer/web designer/programmer/consultant)? (Choose one.)
- Can I use this project as an example on my portfolio? (If the project has gone well.)
- Would you be willing to give a testimonial on my work for my web page? (If the client is pleased.)